Blogg

Interesting Artefacts

The cottage has yielded one or two interesting little trinkets, this is not surprising given the age of the building. here are our favourites:

We found this buried beneath the floorboards on top of the wall-plate adjacent to what used to be the first floor workroom/loft space. This had me thinking it was something to do with
fishing and nets, until the obvious was pointed out to me – it is the carpenter’s gauge for setting out the external weatherboarding to a consistent overlap! So simple. The metal top would have been attached by a lanyard to the carpenter’s belt whilst he hammered away at the nails securing the boarding to the frame. We wonder if this belonged to William (Chippie) Thorp. Over the past few months we’ve removed a good many of his rusting nails!

Grubbing around in the Thames Estuary you might find any number of the hollow clay stems associated with the traditional tobacco pipes – we found this almost complete clay pipe when clearing out the debris from the larger of the two sheds. We wonder if this belonged to Fred Joscelyne the blacksmith (see pages 5 and 11 of the Heritage Assessment).

This beautiful little enamel and cast bronze badge, was clearly intended to be fitted to the motor car the oil was intended for. We found this one tucked into the bricks of the smaller ground floor shed, close to the old work bench and remains of some old lead-acid batteries. This is the second such badge found at the property, an identical one was discovered by the previous owner and gifted to the Leigh Society. There is no trace now of Beresford Grand Garage, but according to the Leigh Society, “Leslie Beresford died in 1937 and it looks as if his garage was on the site of the Overton’s Garage now the car park” behind the Grand Hotel and next to Henry’s Burgers.

The anatomy of a building II

There has been a lot going on and so there’s been a bit of a delay with posts. I think we have gone backwards as far as we can, though the top of the chimney stack remains a serious concern and is likely to undergo a surgical rebuild to ensure its future safety. This will also rid the structure of the unhelpful cement mortar.

The cladding has now been removed.. Where it wasn’t rotten, the cladding simply shattered and split when removed. De-nailing was a task and a half! The frame is now exposed in its entirety. The sole plate, as expected, is pretty well rotten all around, in places it has rotted away altogether though in other parts some of it is salvageable.

Now the the entire frame has been exposed we can get down to the serious task of repairing it, surgically scarfing in new timber to match the original form of construction, starting with the sole plate, the corner posts and the first floor wall plate.

Next week should see some propping and adjusting of the frame to straighten up the cottage prior to insulating and applying external structural re-cladding.

There really isn’t too much that’s complicated about the structure. it just needs TLC.

The anatomy of a building

It’s been a very breezy few days on the estuary this past week. However, the scaffold has performed brilliantly and whilst it was a bit noisy (under all the flapping monoflex sheeting), it was possible to get rid of all those modern concrete tiles that have been weighing so heavily upon the frame. The roof structure is now fully exposed and the simplicity of the construction is there for all to see. There was so much re-purposed wood used in the original construction. The aim is to reuse much of it again!

Dominic surgically dismantling the roof, the hard-hat and gloves were essential kit!
The old, shaped ceiling joists appear to be re-purposed ships’ timbers, not surprising given Mr Bundock’s occupation as a shipwright. The rafters look to be more modern.
The chimney stack is not in good condition and will need a lot of TLC. There has been a lot of ugly concrete pointing undertaken in the past.

Up under the roof!

The cottage now has an overcoat. Getting up-close and personal with the fabric is a little upsetting though to be honest, the amount of rotten timber cladding and the appalling state of the windows, did not come as a great surprise.

The old, but weighty concrete tiles are not long for this world. The clean air and guano has provided a nice home for the lichen though.

the next phase of work can probably be described as “surgical deconstruction”!

The weather is a pain!

The porch foundation is now complete and could make a very nice Japanese water garden, though access to the building could be a little problematic! The scaffolding is now going up and we’ll be getting on with removing the concrete roof tiles and the external timber cladding. Repairs to the frame will then start in earnest. It’s going to be an exciting few weeks!

Our quaint little pool!

Fortunately, the scaffold-roof didn’t go on before all the gales we’ve had over the last few days.